I Want 8 Vs 8 Back! It Made You Feel Like What You Did Made A Difference.

56 replies to this topic

#1 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Back when it was 8 v 8 if you took out 2-3 mechs and died you did good and your team sometimes could score a win 12 v 12 now it really feels like it doesn't really matter how many I kill. Also add to the issue of they never increased ammo counts from 8 vs 8 to 12 v 12.

Besides with how broke up the community is now 12 v 12 just isn't very viable I hear there is little to no 12 man drops anymore. Not sure how true this is, and I know PGI won't release the numbers, but I see less and less of the 12 man players on the forums. I won't assume they quit or are busy playing but I do know they aren't here.

Edited by Imperius, 31 December 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

1 VS 1, 4 VS 4 would also be nice. Are the coming private matches going to be 24 people only, or will we have a choice?

#3 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 31 December 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

1 VS 1, 4 VS 4 would also be nice. Are the coming private matches going to be 24 people only, or will we have a choice?

I would like 1 vs 1 and 4 vs 4 as well.

#4 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

1v1 and 4v4 would be nice. 8v8 would be AWESOME for the smaller maps where 12v12 is way too much, but bigger maps should stay 12v12.

#5 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostBOTA49, on 31 December 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

1v1 and 4v4 would be nice. 8v8 would be AWESOME for the smaller maps where 12v12 is way too much, but bigger maps should stay 12v12.

Makes sense but at the same time how about not making maps that big? I mean the it feels really stupid when you see a mech 2000 meters out and you know not a weapon you have can do anything. It's just a huge waste of time I think we need more small maps like Forest Colony ( My Favorite map) Good cover spots, good flank spots, good snipe spots, all around better tactic map.

#6 Varent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 31 December 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

1v1 4v4 8v8.... all of the above would be nice.

#7 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Private queue yes. Public, no. Diluting the player base would be bad.

#8 valrond

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

I like it. Some smaller maps are better suited to 8v8 or even 4v4, like Forest Colony, River City and Frozen City. In 8v8 you could make a difference. Now there are so many mechs that in smaller maps it's usually a ***********, and in almost every match what you do has very little to do with the outcome.

#9 thesleepyslam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

you're still pulling weight doing 2-3 kills. it's just that the new 2-3 kills is 4-5 kills.

so doing 2-3 kills in 12 man is like doing 1-2 kills in 8 man.

Edited by thesleepyslam, 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#10 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postthesleepyslam, on 31 December 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

you're still pulling weight doing 2-3 kills. it's just that the new 2-3 kills is 4-5 kills.

so doing 2-3 kills in 12 man is like doing 1-2 kills in 8 man.

Doesn't feel like it... besides the ammo and mech damage really doesn't allow more kills unless the stars align or the other team is really that bad. Also there is less 1 v 1 square offs with the added numbers. I take the amount of players like a amoeba moving though a map aimlessly till it meets the other amoeba.

#11 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I somewhat agree with the OP, but not exactly :rolleyes:

I guess I would have prefered if forest stayed 8v8 when we got 12v12 games. So if you dropped into a match on forest it would be 8v8, any other map would be 12v12. (maybe river city 8v8 as well..)

From there it would have been nice for them to do a few more maps around forest size and then limiting them to 4v4. Having 2 or 3 4v4's running on the 1 server would let them use the server space just like they do with 12v12's now....(so they not wasting servers by running a single 4v4 on 1 machine.)

Would have just given a lot more variety. Also would have let the MM match some 4mans against other 4mans in 4v4's on occasion. Like I said, there would just be more variety when you click launch etc.....

Although not sure if running 3 instances of 4v4 is more demanding than a single instance but at 12v12........(should be same amount of projectile / movement stuff )

#12 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostImperius, on 31 December 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Back when it was 8 v 8 if you took out 2-3 mechs and died you did good and your team sometimes could score a win 12 v 12 now it really feels like it doesn't really matter how many I kill. Also add to the issue of they never increased ammo counts from 8 vs 8 to 12 v 12.

Besides with how broke up the community is now 12 v 12 just isn't very viable I hear there is little to no 12 man drops anymore. Not sure how true this is, and I know PGI won't release the numbers, but I see less and less of the 12 man players on the forums. I won't assume they quit or are busy playing but I do know they aren't here.

Not seeing the point here. Yes it's harder to wipe out half the enemy team nowadays, but so? Sounds like your ego is bruised.

Ammo counts? Umm pack some energy weapons as back up, be more accurate, or tweak your build to carry more ammo.....

:Lastly, so you don't play 12v12, don't talk to anyone who does, but since you don't see a lot of talk about it, you just assume it's dead? Son, that's what we call a special kind of <Redacted> around here.

I play 12v12 with the DHB. Anytime there is 12 people up for it we run them. Note just because we have 12+ people on doesn't mean everyone likes the 12 mans, and I surely am not up to the competitive standards, but damn it's a great learning experience. Facing off against and with some of the best is a trip!! There is also the competitive guys who run 12s on a regular basis preparing for CW but like I said I am not in that, as I am not that good.

View PostFooooo, on 31 December 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

I somewhat agree with the OP, but not exactly :rolleyes:

I guess I would have prefered if forest stayed 8v8 when we got 12v12 games. So if you dropped into a match on forest it would be 8v8, any other map would be 12v12. (maybe river city 8v8 as well..)

From there it would have been nice for them to do a few more maps around forest size and then limiting them to 4v4. Having 2 or 3 4v4's running on the 1 server would let them use the server space just like they do with 12v12's now....(so they not wasting servers by running a single 4v4 on 1 machine.)

Would have just given a lot more variety. Also would have let the MM match some 4mans against other 4mans in 4v4's on occasion. Like I said, there would just be more variety when you click launch etc.....

Although not sure if running 3 instances of 4v4 is more demanding than a single instance but at 12v12........(should be same amount of projectile / movement stuff )

I like the idea of variety, but many people like to plan ahead etc. Personally I think it's better to have an element of randomness, as Military Intelligence (ie who and what you are facing off against) is usually anything but.

So dropping against a 4 man when you expected it to be a normal match would be nice. Simulate your dropship missing the landing zone and you running into a veteran patrol.

#13 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yeah i want 8v8 back so badly, that was a fun, and I could play on high settings :rolleyes:

#14 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

YOU said choice... I like you.

We need a lobby system choice asap. I do not want to drop in premade Hell matches if I am not premade that day.

Choice is key here

#15 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostImperius, on 31 December 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Makes sense but at the same time how about not making maps that big? I mean the it feels really stupid when you see a mech 2000 meters out and you know not a weapon you have can do anything. It's just a huge waste of time I think we need more small maps like Forest Colony ( My Favorite map) Good cover spots, good flank spots, good snipe spots, all around better tactic map.

This isn't COD, it's mechwarrior.( well, a attempt at mechwarrior)

#16 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

The random nature of the game is the only reason I am playing (From time to time).
Like the idea of random team sizes, but both teams being the same size and more important similar weight.
e.g. 4vs4, 8vs8 or 12vs12.

Might help put back some tactics, which seem to have been lost on 12vs12.

#17 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

On maps like Forest Colony or Frozen City I'd like to see them revert back to 8v8. Those maps are to small and feel way to "crowded" for 24 'Mechs.

#18 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

In retrospect I think this game went rapidly downhill after the introduction of 12 man last spring. That, and the broken ppcs and jump snipers, but especially the 12 man. Matches were never quite as fun since.

#19 Klaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Aside from not being able to carry that much anymore, 12 v 12 just being too crowded... Some maps just seem like they were designed for 8 v 8.

The game got a lot less fun when 12 v 12 happened.

#20 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

I'd like to have the old spawn points back. The new ones are good only if they think about making some kind of squad deathmatch.

Besides this I think 12 vs 12 is what made this game get worse. I mean, smaller maps play worse, bigger ones now have scattered spawn points. In 8vs8 you could carry the match much more than it's possible to do in 12mans, those who want to carry it now have brought us to assaultwarrior online..

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users